You might be just returning from NECC and you are looking to gear up with some mobile technologies. Maybe it was the popularity of iPod’s in education, the energetic and knowledgeable Tony Vincent or the dynamic duo of Cathie Norris & Elliot Soloway from GoKnow that sparked your interest in handheld devices. Yet, where do you get the funds? I was reminded by a two-time winner, who just so happens to be my better half, of the Best Buy Teach grant that they are available again from July 1st – September 30th. $2,500 should outfit a mobile classroom nicely. Here are some highlights from the Best Buy Community Relations site:
- Each year Best Buy will present up to 1,200 schools with $2,500 te@ch awards (in the form of a $2,500 Best Buy gift card)
- Total amount awarded: More than $3.5 million
- Awards go to K-12 public, private and parochial schools using interactive technology in classrooms.
- Schools must be within 50 miles of a Best Buy store to apply.
- Educators must apply between July 1 and September 30.
- Winning schools are announced in February
If you decide to apply, be sure to connect your proposal to learning standards and have a clear plan for implementation. If you do receive a Best Buy Teach award, you use it for mobile technology and you read about it here at Mobilemind-ed let me know. I’ll highlight your award here at Mobilemind-ed! Good luck!